A well-organized home is also a comfortable one. Having enough storage for everything offers a really nice sense of accomplishment and only in time you get to discover all the little details that
How Much Mortgage Can I Afford?
Dated: September 23 2021
Finding a Mortgage You Can Afford
Can You Afford a Mortgage: Budget, Income and Debt
If you are renting or looking to buy a bigger home, then you will need to consider how much money you can afford to pay each month toward your housing expenses. Don’t account only for the principal and interest payments on the new mortgage. Include your monthly costs for will include your mortgage payments, property tax, homeowner insurance, and possibly mortgage insurance and homeowner association fees.
Here are some of the things you need to consider before you decide if you can afford the mortgage and monthly payments:
- Income: How much are you making each month on a regular basis? Is your income stable? Do you rely on overtime pay which might not always be available?
- Expenses: How much are your monthly expenses? Don’t forget to include seasonal and non-regular expenses. Some bills are not paid monthly, but need to be accounted for in your monthly budget.
- Debt: How much are your monthly debt payments? This includes your credit card debt, auto loans, student loans, personal loans and court ordered payments. If you have loans that are in deferment, then will you be able to afford the full payment together with your mortgage payments?
- Savings: Do you have an emergency fund? Do you have sufficient funds saved for a down payment and closing costs?
Can I afford this Mortgage? - From the Mortgage Lender’s Eyes
Feeling comfortable with your monthly payment is important. Never take a mortgage unless you’re confident that the monthly payments fit within your budget. Mortgage payments are not flexible and must be paid on-time each and every month. Your lender is going to take a snapshot of your current income and expenses. Lenders don’t account for future financial plans that will impact your ability to make your payment, such as college expenses or private schooling for your kids. That’s your responsibility.
It isn’t enough that you feel comfortable with your mortgage and monthly payments. You need to be able to pass the various tests and rules that mortgage lenders use to qualify you for a mortgage. Here are some of the basic questions that a lender will ask to verify if you can afford the mortgage:
- Income: Do you have stable income? Usually lenders look to see that you have two years of steady employment. If you just changed jobs, then bring this up with the lender. Changing professions might require a new two year period.
- Debt: Are you paying your debts on time? Is your debt level rising? Are you using up more of your credit lines? Be careful not to take on new debt or even apply for other credit, while you are in the mortgage application process.
- Debt-to-Income ratio (DTI): What is your debt-to-income ratio (DTI)? There are many different DTI rule,s depending on the specific mortgage loan program you apply for and the lender’s own rules. A general rule of thumb is that your housing expenses (mortgage payment, mortgage insurance, property tax, homeowners insurance) should not be over 20-25% and your total debt payments (housing expenses and other monthly debt payments) should not be over 36%.
- Savings: Do you have down payment money saved and can you show where it came from? If it is gift money, your lender is going to ask you to document how long ago your received the gift. Do you have savings (reserves) to cover a few monthly payments? (Check with the lender what they require, but it is always a good idea to have an emergency fund).
Here are some steps to help you prepare:
- Prepare your budget.
- Keep your debt payments as low as possible, avoiding the minimum payment cycle.
- Learn how to qualify for a mortgage and get a pre-approval.
- Learn about mortgage rates. They change often.
Please feel free to reach out to me with questions:
American Destiny Real Estate
Office Number: 724-745-5969
Below are Market Reports for the Allegheny Valley.
Click on the area you want a report for.
- Allegheny Twp - WML Apollo Boro Arnold Aspinwall Bell Twp Brackenridge Buffalo Twp - BUT Burrell Twp Cheswick Churchill Boro Clinton Twp East Deer East Vandergrift Etna Fawn Twp Ford City Boro Fox Chapel Frazer Freeport Boro
- Gilpin Twp Harmar Indiana TWP - NAL Jefferson Twp - BUT Kittanning Boro Kittanning Twp Leechburg Boro Lower Burrell Natrona Natrona Hts-Harrison Twp. New Kensington North Apollo North Buffalo Twp OHara Plum Boro Saxonburg Boro Sharpsburg South Buffalo Twp Springdale Boro Springdale Twp Tarentum Upper Burrell Vandergrift - WML Vandergrift Boro - ARM Verona W Kittanning Boro W Leechburg Washington Twp West Deer Winfield Twp
I am extremely proud to be working with American Destiny Real Estate. I have lived in the Pittsburgh region my entire life, so I know all of the unique neighborhoods our region has to offer. I speci....
Latest Blog Posts
Your home is likely the most expensive — and possibly the best — investment you will ever make. For that reason, you want to protect it, which means you need a good homeowners